Friday, November 15, 2013

Self-ownership and land.

"No it doesn't. If anything ownership of bodies (a concept that I actually find totally incoherent, but whatever) is a total wash. I can easily argue that if I own my body, you cannot appropriate pieces of the world because when you do so, you violate my self-ownership by initiating coercive threats against me, and then using violence against me if I go on to the piece of the world (something I never agreed to give up my access to). It's a total non-issue in the debate."

"If anything ownership of bodies (a concept that I actually find totally incoherent, but whatever) is a total wash."

When someone makes someone their slave they are claiming a property right in that persons body. They are saying, "I have the exclusive right to the control and use of your body".

How is this different from any other rivalrous property???

Your land analogy is ridiculous. You never asked me if you could live where ever it is your living, and because of this you're initiating coercive threats against me!! And, I imagine, that because you're the one initiating the violent threats against me, that If I break down your front door and move in that you have no better claim to your home than I do so you'd have no problem with me as your new room mate? I never agreed to give up my access to your land/home/whatever and I want my access to it back!

Further, back to the self-ownership debate, if you were the first user of that land and mixed your labor with it to build a house. Then one afternoon I show up and take it from you, because you never had my permission to mix your labor with that land, then ultimately didn't I make you my slave for the labor it took to build that house????

Also, Youre making a property rights claim to the entire planet? I've never heard something more selfish!

Should we all come to you and ask for your permission to walk the ground??? And if we don't we're all initiating coercive threats against you right? absurd.

You're literally claiming people you don't even know exist, and that you will never know exist, are making threats against you. And further, that you have a right to the land that you will never walk on, never use and mix your labor with, or probably even see, is insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment